NetBrain Consultant Edition
Instantly Discover, Analyze, and Document Customer Networks
Network consultants hold the most demanding network job in the world. They often work under tight schedules to analyze new networks with limited documentation while relying on customized scripts to gather data.
NetBrain Consultant Edition (CE) is designed to make a consultant's job easier by providing instant network discovery, document automation, and visual troubleshooting.
Deep Network Discovery
NetBrain leverages a state-of-the-art discovery engine which can discover network devices and underlying design simultaneously. The discovery engine is extremely fast and 99% accurate, providing a complex data model of the network.
Once a customer network is discovered, consultants can carry out many forms of network analysis from a map-driven environment.
In certain scenarios where consultants have no live access to the customer network, NetBrain can still function by importing network configuration files and/or show-command output from network devices including routers, switches and firewalls from most major vendors.
Dynamic Network Mapping
A dynamic map is data-driven and fully automated. It represents a technological breakthrough in network documentation.
With much more fidelity and detail than typical 'static' documentation, dynamic maps have many advantages:
- Data-Driven - All data embedded in the map is automatically collected by the system
- On-Demand Creation - Simple user input is used to output highly customized diagrams
- Up-to-Date - When network changes occur, maps update dynamically
- Beyond a Diagram - Dynamic maps are the launching pad for automating network tasks
Several types of documentation can be exported from NetBrain. The inventory, design, and topology data embedded within a dynamic diagram is used to create asset reports, design documents, and Visio diagrams with one-click:
- Network Diagrams in MS Visio
- Design Documents in MS Word
- Inventory Reports in MS Excel
When the live network changes, NetBrain's benchmark engine will capture those changes and update its backend data model. Users can then automatically update the exported documents.
Visual network monitoring is different from traditional SNMP network monitoring. It uses a dynamic map to display performance statistics and advanced diagnostic parameters. There are over a dozen monitoring profiles built-in to accelerate troubleshooting for a variety of network issues. Leveraging SNMP polling and NetBrain's Qapps, network data is correlated to display faults and errors on devices and interfaces. Sample monitoring profiles include:
- Overall Health Check - Displays live bandwidth as well CPU/memory utilization, delay, and more
- Interface Diagnosis - Displays interface errors and configuration discrepancies on the map
- Multicasting Diagnosis - Maps multicasting trees and displays live multicasting packets on the map
- QoS Diagnosis - Displays relevant QoS configuration and packet drops on the map
- Routing Diagnosis - Displays routing protocol and routing neighbor status and adjacencies
No out-of-the-box network solution can comprehensively handle every unique network or network task. That's why NetBrain's automation features are 100% customizable - to adapt not only to your unique network, but also to all of your network tasks. Through NetBrain's visual programming environment, users can develop Qapps to collect and correlate network data and report the results directly on the map. This is possible without any scripting.
Leverage Qapps to:
- Troubleshoot Faster - Program a procedure to detect configuration discrepancies or incrementing interface errors
- Test and Verify - Program a procedure to test reachability to and from every device in the network
- Automate Compliance - Program a procedure to detect vulnerabilities in device configurations
- Collect Detailed Inventory - Program a procedure to collect detailed device attributes and display them on the map
Reports show that roughly half of all network outages are caused by a network change. That's because a change can have a domino effect on the network, which is hard to detect. NetBrain not only automates network changes, but also helps analyze the effect the changes had on the rest of the network. With NetBrain's Change Management Module, you can:
- Define Network Changes with a template-driven approach
- Automatically Deploy Changes to multiple devices with a single click
- Analyze the Impact of Changes by comparing configuration, routing, and more between pre and post-change snapshots
- Automatically Document the Changes with one-click Word documentation to capture the entire change history
Traffic Path Analysis
Networks are designed to move traffic from point A to point B. NetBrain allows you to visualize and analyze these dynamic traffic paths across complex networks taking into account:
- Dynamic and Static Routing
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- DMVPN, MPLS, etc.
In order to map between two endpoints, just specify the IP addresses or hostnames at each end, NetBrain will leverage live gateway and routing information on each device to determine the path of the traffic. Dynamic layer-3 or layer-2 diagrams can even be created from historical benchmark data to help visualize changes in traffic.
Routing & Design Analysis
Network design is often embedded inside millions of lines of configuration files. NetBrain parses device configurations and intelligently analyzes network design. The design is intelligently organized and presented on a dynamic diagram to help reduce design complexities. Examples of supported design analysis include:
- Dynamic Routing Protocols such as BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, ISIS, and RIP
- Multicasting Design such as PIM-SM, PIM-DM, etc.
- MPLS VRF Design
- Over 100 Typical Designs based on customizable design templates (e.g. QoS, VoIP, Security, etc.)
Network consultants need a portable solution they can easily connect to their customer's networks. Consultant Edition is a single software download and installs on any Windows PC. For best discovery results, make sure the PC running NetBrain has telnet/SSH and SNMP access to routers, switches and firewalls on the network.
Consultant Edition Deployment Diagram